Sunday, December 21, 2008

One Baby Changes the World

Have you ever slowed down to take in the sights and sounds of the Holiday season leading up to the big night of Christmas eve and Christmas day? There is something peaceful about the night during this glorious season. Take some time out and go out for a walk, maybe to your downtown square. Walk in any neighborhood, you will see all sorts of Christmas decorations and lights. On a clear night, the white lights can almost seem to blend right into the night sky. I love the night sky in December. It is so crisp, clean and bright. When I am walking or driving around looking at the lights all lit up, I have this peace come about me, a sort of stillness. And yet a rejuvenation that comes about me. Something stirs inside of me, I feel like God is wrapping his arms around me and giving me a big hug, reminding me that everything is ok. The lights remind me of the story of Jesus, the second Trinity, who gave up his supernatural being to come dwell among us, to walk with us and to be our light, to show us the way. To clear the path, to cleanse us. He could have come to us as a Thirty year old, sort of like just appearing in the flesh, but no, He had to go through a whole cycle, from birth to adulthood. I don’t think we would understand or be able to handle it if it were any other way.

Isn’t it amazing how one baby, born in the poorest and filthiest of conditions can come into this World and turn it complete upside down? Because of this one baby, we are given a purpose, we are given life, we are taught how to love, how to share, how to see the World in a different perspective, and how to put others before self by loving our neighbors. We are given things that I may never be able to grasp. But I do know that because of this birth, I am saved. I will never be alone, and as long as others listen I will share God’s gift to me with others.

Natalie Grant sings a song called I Believe. It is a beautiful song about Baby Jesus. This is part of the song: “Precious Child how can it be that God’s great plan for history would send you to a lonely tree that you would come for one like me? I believe in a cross, I believe He came for one He came for all. Heaven’s Child became a man gave His life for me in spite of all I am, I believe, I believe Christmas lives in me, I believe.

This Holiday season, I beg you to slow down. Take in the sights and sounds. Search for Him, see if you can really find Christ in Christmas. Give someone a hug. Give your neighbor a plate of cookies. Hand write a Christmas card and give it to someone who has done something for you in your life. Go caroling even if you sing off key. Share your faith with someone else. Smile to the casher, if they have a name tag on, address them by their name. Drink coffee or Hot Chocolate with a friend or family member that you feel disconnected to. And most importantly, do not forget to worship the one who loves you more than anything else on this earth. Let this be a Christmas full of joy.

No comments: