Sunday, January 18, 2009

Mountains how they humble the soul

Recently returned to the Highlands of Honduras, I have found myself to be overweight and out of shape. Though, I thought that three months in the states couldn’t really affect me that much. Uh yea right. So the other day I went to the mountains, the long tedious journey to get to Agua Caliente, this of course is where my passion lays, the remote villages of Honduras is where you can find some of the best coffee. The first night on the coffee buying trip, we stayed in Mounte Verde. That night when I was reading my bible the following verse came to me.” John 12:25 The one who loves his life 50 destroys 51 it, and the one who hates his life in this world guards 52 it for eternal life. 12:26 If anyone wants to serve me, he must follow 53 me, and where I am, my servant will be too. 54 If anyone serves me, the Father will honor him.” Needless to say the verse came at the right time, I was feeling a bit anxious about the following days hike. The verse reminded me that I have to get out of my comfort zone, the farmers will not come to me but I too them.
Energized the following days hike was comical at times but none the less energizing. I felt great and focused on the task at hand and how I was following Gods heart to reach the nations. Well the day went great, accomplished all that needed to be accomplished and had a great evening of relaxation listening to the water fall and the rain. How peaceful, and what a great way to take in God’s beauty.
The next day however was not a good day. When we woke in the morning it was still raining, how is this, this is supposed to be the dry season. I started to focus on poor me and my conditions around me and not on the true worship, praise and thanksgiving that God gave me another day. Anyway long story short, hiking out of the mountains was the hardest hike I have ever done. God has a great way of humbling us. I felt like I was king of the earth and nothing could stop me. The previous two days were great, everything was going my way, yup I was super missionary. Until Tuesday morning, the great hike out of the mountains. It rained all night, so the already muddy road was like a road full of sink holes or quick sand. Every step I took I felt like I was going to sink in to my knees. At one point one of my shoes came off, this was within the first mile of the hike out of the mountains. Oh-No I thought, I am going to get a blister for sure. Well thankfully I had sweat wicking wool socks on and Gore tex shoes I never formed a blister. However, further up the mountain, I started to get overheated and dizzy, to the point I felt I was going to pass out. I have never gotten to this point before and I hope that I will never get there again. I had to sit down for about 15 minutes to cool down, at least three different occasions while hiking out of the mountains. On that day I took my eyes off of God and learned a very important lesson. Never get so comfortable with the situation that you forget to keep God in your plans. And slow down and enjoy every minute you have, never stop worshiping the great I Am. My Body is God’s temple and I shall not neglect it, if I neglect it how then shall I go to the ends of the earth to do the Kingdoms Business?

No comments: