Friday, March 27, 2009

15 day journey day 2

Day 2
I had a restless night of sleep. Its good to see that the roosters followed u from home. The only exception the roosters here start up at 4 instead of midnight like they do in Yamaranguila. Corbett tried to shower but couldn’t, she said the water never warmed up for her. Last night. So I embraced for a freezing cold shower. It turns out the water was scalding hot. I could barely get under the water it was so hot. I guess Corbett dosent know how to work the widow makers down here. She seems to have the same problem with ours at home as well. She said I have to turn it on next time for her. We are off to language school and breakfast. I hope the breakfast is as good as dinner last night.

Yup Breakfast was as good, and the families name is Tina and Jesus. I think I can remember that. Day 1 of class, no intro no welcome, no let’s take care of the bill, follow me and take this test. That was our introduction to school. Test huh. Really? A test? Where’s the coffee? Any way the test was three pages. I was able to complete the 1st section. (Ok I thought I was) The rest of the test I had no idea how to fill out. So much for thinking I know Spanish. I know nothing. I might as well throw everything out the door and start over. When I finished, or should say when I gave up on the test, I took it Followed Corbett into the other room and before I turned the corner, Corbett was coming back with her teacher.

I walk around the corner and literally run into my teacher. She takes the test, looks at me and motions for me to follow her. Ok this is weird I think to myself. No introductions, no review of the test by the director it is all pre destined. I guess. We sit at this table facing each other she takes out a piece of paper and starts numbering it for the first 8 questions on the test. Right away I realize I did not answer the basic questions correct. O my, this is going to be a long week. She introduces herself to me I forget it. That is my life story never remembering names; I didn’t remember my home stay family now I don’t remember my teacher’s name. O well. We worked up to 10:00 and then we took a break, she told me that after the break we would have to give a presentation and that I would have to introduce her to the class as well as myself. Cornered. I have to give in and ask her to repeat her name…several times. Apparently I said something of humor during the introduction and she ran with it and had fun with it. Urgg Im being made fun of , and know it , but can’t do anything about it. I must learn this language. O well, I think I lucked out I really liked my teacher and I think the week will be a good one. She works at my pace and makes me feel good about the fact that I really don’t know anything about Spanish even when I say I understand or comprehend, she says uh and then goes on to explain what the word means. I need to work on telling the truth, I don’t know I don’t understand, maybe I will understand more if I would just accept that I don’t know anything. She is good about making it ok that I don’t know anything. After class we walked around a little and hung out at Café Welch, we were told by several people on staff that they have great coffee and dessert. I had coffee…not bad, not great either. Corbett had ice cream it looked good. We were given homework and so we did it at the café. I guess I will have home work all week. Not a bad thing, I must practice as much as possible. The food continues to be great at Tina’s house. What a blessing to be feed great and not have to worry about where we are going to eat.

No comments: