Friday, March 27, 2009

15 day journey of language school - day 1


Day 1 of a 15 day journey. This morning we said goodbye to the farm and to Makenzie. We will be without Makenzie for 7 days so that we can focus on language study. The bus ride was ok, on the 1st bus from La Esperanza to San Pedro was delayed due to a flat tire. Because of the flat we missed our connecting bus to Copan. The flat tire was a little scary. I was sleeping and was awoken by a big popping sound. Of course we happened to be right above the tire that blew. We were not sure if it was the tire at first. The bus kept on going and the driver kept on picking up people. Every time it would slow down and stop to pick up people smoke would start coming into our window. Finely after about 20 min of going down the road the bus pulled off at a tire shop and got the tire changed. Because of the flat we missed our connecting bus to Copan Ruins. So we had to wait about an hour in the bus station for the next and final bus of the day. If we missed this bus we would have had to stay in San Pedro. We weren’t going to miss the bus!



Waiting in the bus station can be dangerous, you have to watch out for banditos and people are yelling all over the place, chaos and confusion. The good thing is there was a pizza hut in the station like the ones you see in the airport. Woo Hoo two weeks in a row we are able to enjoy pizza. The pizza here is so much better here than back home. Fortunately we had no problems on our next bus. We were told that it would take three hours when it really took us 4 hours to get to Copan.



When we arrived one of the teachers was at the station/street corner where the bus dropped us off. They had a sign with our names on it praise God, it was dark and we didn’t know where we were. This is our first time to go to Copan and getting there at dark is not the best thing. Our 1st impression of Copan is wow. It is a colonial style town with cobble stoned streets nestled in the side of a mountain. . Though it was dark the surroundings seemed to be beautiful. We met the teacher and she took us tour guest house. ( I have a bad memory, don’t remember the name of the family we are staying with. ) At this point we have had little interaction with the school. The house lady was very friendly and welcoming us in. She made us dinner…Wow and very needed after a full day of traveling. The dinner consisted of fried beans and bananas, some kind of green stuff like spinach…not sure what it was…and fried potatoes with eggs and garlic and of course tortillas. And of course she offered coffee, and even though I was tired, I never turn down a cup of coffee. Families in Honduras will offer coffee any and everywhere I go. I love this place. Our room is small, and a little noisy but will do. We are here for study not for vacation. The bed is not very comfy o well suffering for Christ. I’m glad we’re here, but nervous about class tomorrow. I hope my teacher is good and patient with me. I get nervous in these types of situations and want to perform really well, ok I get shy and am afraid of failing. Well I guess it is time to go to bed so that I can get up and learn tomorrow. Class starts at 8 am sharp…I don’t even know where the class is or who my teacher is yet. My friend was here two weeks ago and said he had a teacher Nazi a great teacher but tough…I hope I don’t get her but I am sure that with my luck I will get her. Only time will tell.

No comments: